Bluetooth rfcomm and Shearwater Petrel updates

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 19:44:42 PDT 2020

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 at 12:55, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <
subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> Thanks to Linus (and with the help of Jef - it just took us way to long to
> follow up on his comments) we finally have working BT/rfcomm downloads on
> Windows and Linux again.
> Android I believe hadn't been broken.
> macOS unfortunately still is broken.
> and iOS of course doesn't support BT/rfcomm.
>
> none of this affected BLE - this is just about Bluetooth classic / rfcomm
> downloads.
>
> Also, I found a parsing error for Petrel and Petrel 2 dive computers that
> were updated to the current firmware.
>
> Jef, you may want to look at
> https://github.com/subsurface/libdc/commit/8e1335e3728920e5795e0fb13f72e7e786a1a27a
>
> If you have a BT/rfcomm dive computer, I'd appreciate a quick test of the
> latest binaries.
> And ESPECIALLY if you happen to have a Shearwater Petrel or Petrel 2 - I'd
> really love to make sure there aren't any other surprises in the PNF
> implementation in the current firmware.
>
> I've tested downloading my Petrel 2 (firmware v53 - yes that's old,
hardware 2.4.2) with the 'subsurface-4.9.6-121-gf42dee8ac2e4.exe' binary
under downloads/tests on Windows 10 with an empty dive log and Bluetooth
mode 'Auto'.  It successfully downloaded 203 of the 206 dives on the
computer, but produced a 'Dive data import error' and failed to download
the earliest few dives.  I closed without saving and started Subsurface -v
from the command prompt with the hope of working out what the error was but
this time all the dives were downloaded.  Command prompt output is copied
below.
Found device:  "Petrel" "00:13:43:0E:6B:D0"
Starting download from  BT
downloading only new dives
INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
new firmware version 44 for DC model Shearwater Petrel 2 deviceId 0x1c94852d
new firmware version 29 for DC model Shearwater Petrel 2 deviceId 0x1c94852d
new firmware version 28 for DC model Shearwater Petrel 2 deviceId 0x1c94852d
Finishing download thread: 206 dives downloaded

I note that the dive computer is identified as a Petrel rather than Petrel
2.

My only real concern is that I've been reminded I've had only one dive
since March last year :(