Import fin strokes from activity bands.

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 24 17:07:11 PDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 3:06 PM Fabio Rueda via subsurface
<subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> My suunto ambit works to 100m depth.

I don't think it does.

The whole "water resistance" in watches is an ugly ugly joke.  The
water resistance thing is basically a (short) static pressure test,
not an actual "this is how deep you can go" test.

Water resistance to 3ATM ("30m meters") means that you can shower with
it and wash dishes.

Water resistance to 5ATM ("50 meters") means that you can swim with it
for a while.

Water resistance to 10ATM ("100 meters") means that you can swim and
snorkel with it, but no diving.

Water resistance to 20ATM ("200 meters") means that you can do
vigorous water stuff and maybe careful diving.

And finally: "Diver" means that you can actually dive with it.

> This devices exports its data as .fit files, some standard that it can be parsed (at least in python by my own proof of concept)
>
> Do you think it is a too crazy/ complicated feature for subsurface?

If you take that that Ambit diving, I'd love to hear whether (a) it
actually works afterwards (my guess is that it will be ok if you are
careful and dive only a couple of times with it) and (b) I'd love to
see the resulting FIT file. Because we do parse them.

HOWEVER. I suspect the FIT file will be useless, because there's no
good way to sync it up with the actual dive (no depth sensor). Sure,
you can do it purely by time, but that requires that your actual dive
computer is truly synchronized, which is seldom the case.

But even though we could parse it and sync it up, I doubt we could do
anything really useful with it. As Dirk says, it's too specialized -
we don't really have any way to save and visualize the data. We could
express it as a fake heartrate, I guess.

But see above. It's *very* unlikely that your Ambit would actually
survive multiple dives to any real depth. The "100m water resistance"
basically means that it's ok for doing the swim part of a triathlon,
not that it's ok diving with it.

And don't blame Suunto for the crap water resistance thing. It's sadly
an (accepted) industry standard to lie about water resistance, and if
you call any watch people out on it, they will claim it's not a "lie",
it's just "static pressure in fresh water" or similar, and it's
basically "in the best case, with new seals, our watch should survive
down to that depth if it is absolutely undisturbed in any way".

Put another way: for God's sake, don't press any buttons while at
depth. And don't stay down for long. And don't repeat it.  And never
EVER actually move your arm or have any kind of extra dynamic pressure
from water movement around the watch. And salt water? That's a whole
different thing.

                Linus