signed Windows 4.9.7 installer

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Sep 26 15:27:53 PDT 2020

Apple has forced me to shell out a hundred bucks a year in order to make useful Apple installers for a while.
I finally broke down and figured out my way through the Windows signed installer mess.
Oh so much fun. But I think I finally have it working, and now I need some help from those of you with access to Windows systems (or VMs)

https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/subsurface-4.9.7.exe <https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/subsurface-4.9.7.exe>

Yeah, same location as before, same filename / version number. Not exactly the best way to do that, but it took quite a while to get the code signing certificate purchased, installed, and working, and I didn't want to delay the release any longer.

This app is signed with my "open source developer" certificate. And one of the oddities in the way Microsoft handles this is that I can give a random registrar hundreds of dollars per year and that in itself makes me "trust worthy", or I can spend only about sixty dollars a year on one of these certificates from Centrum, but then the app needs to build "reputation" before the warning about it being from an untrusted source goes away.

So as a result, the more people download and (re-)install Subsurface 4.9.7, the sooner this certificate will actually work as intended and make some of the annoying / scary warnings go away - which have confused a number of our not-so-tech-savvy users in the past.

So... your help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and please report back what Windows tells you about this binary :-)

Thanks