Import fin strokes from activity bands.

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Sep 27 11:05:58 PDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 4:48 AM Attilla de Groot <attilla at attilla.nl> wrote:

> I am wearing my Fitbit under my drysuit.

Yeah, that should be safe. It will still see the pressure changes, but
while that could cause some mechanical stress and also result in
failures (who knows how happy the regular atmospheric pressure sensor
is with unusual pressures, for example) I don't think it matters much.

At that point, a "resistant to 50m" should mean that the pure static
pressure changes are safe unless you have some catastrophic leak, of
course.

And even with a completely flooded drysuit, there's likely _much_ less
actual water around the fitbit and much less dynamic pressure from any
of your movement.

>  I’m pretty sure that it won’t be able to measure fin kicks accurately, otherwise I would have been in a different country after the dive.

You clearly have a different approach to diving that I do. If I have
to kick a lot, it's a bad dive. Being in a different country would be
a "I'm so done with this dive, I'll just abort, this is no fun".

> The main reason I wear it is to measure my heart rate. It would be cool if I can import that into a log as well, since my Shearwater Teric doesn’t have heart rate measurement possibilities.

We do support heartrate, but we have no sane way to import it from a
fitbit into subsurface.

*If* you can figure out how to (a) get the data out of the fitbit and
(b) synchronize the fitbit times with the dive (possibly by using the
atmospheric pressure data to at least see where the dive starts and
ends?) I suspect the best way to do it is by just scripting something
around the subsurface XML or git save formats (ie bypass subsurface
entirely, just work with the datafiles).

So it's one of those "I'm convinced it's entirely possible, but it's
really outside the scope of what subsurface itself would do".

              Linus