Grouping and managing dive logs

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 11:18:37 PDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Attilla de Groot via subsurface <
subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2020, at 15:22, Jason Bramwell <jb2cool at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have my own way of doing this and this is done using a combination of
> tags and location name.
>
> For me my tag rules are:
> Deep = anything over 35m (this is just depth that I’ve chosen as my cutoff
> point)
> Deco = any dive with accelerated decompression. Mandatory or extended
> safety stops don’t count in my rules
>
> What you have suggested (nitrox, mandatory deco ceiling) could easily be
> done with tags.
>
> My location naming scheme is a bit less consistent and I have a couple of
> ways of doing this, whatever seems the most sensible. At home I use Country
> – Town/City – Site. On holiday I use Body of water – Country – Site (I do
> this if the trip is from a liveaboard where the port of origin is less
> meaningful) or Body of water – Country – Town/City – Site  (I do this if
> it’s a ‘day-boat’ leaving and returning to port.
>
> e.g.
> Adriatic Sea - Croatia - Krnica – Pascoli
> Adriatic Sea - Croatia - Plomin Luka – Vis
> Pacific Ocean - Chuuk - San Francisco Maru
> Red Sea - Egypt - Chrisoula K
> Red Sea - Egypt - Giannis D
> UK - Plymouth - HMS Scylla
> UK - Plymouth - SS James Egan Layne
> UK - Portland - HMS Boadicea
>
> This works for me.
>

> I agree that I can solve this with tags just like you. It would mean I
> have to add tags to all my previous dives, it will just cost me some time
> to add them. I thought it would be nice to have some additional search
> features though for people that have a large number of dives.
>

> For discontiguous dives as part of the same trip, that doesn’t make sense
> to me. A ‘trip’ as far as Subsurface is concerned is a set of contiguous
> dives for example some sea dives and some cenote/cave dives in Mexico but
> these would all be contiguous. I’d be interested in knowing the reasoning
> why you would want to use this otherwise.
>

> I’m making quite some local dives between my trips that I would like to
> group as “local dives” to have a shorter overview in the list (which is why
> the trip feature exists). As you can see in the attached screenshot, this
> would end up as quite a weird list since these local dives are
> discontiguous between the trips I’m making.

You can add a trip (or multiple trips) manually, and add selected dives to
the trip. Choose the dives you want to group together, click right button
within the selection and choose create trip above. This should group all
the selected dives together. (Not sure if it works if there is a different
trip in between the dives, but it should be easy to test out.)

HTH
miika