Import fin strokes from activity bands.

Fabio Rueda avances123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 06:45:21 PDT 2020

El dom., 27 sept. 2020 a las 20:06, Linus Torvalds (<
torvalds at linux-foundation.org>) escribió:

> On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 4:48 AM Attilla de Groot <attilla at attilla.nl>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am wearing my Fitbit under my drysuit.
>
> Yeah, that should be safe. It will still see the pressure changes, but
> while that could cause some mechanical stress and also result in
> failures (who knows how happy the regular atmospheric pressure sensor
> is with unusual pressures, for example) I don't think it matters much.
>
> At that point, a "resistant to 50m" should mean that the pure static
> pressure changes are safe unless you have some catastrophic leak, of
> course.
>
> And even with a completely flooded drysuit, there's likely _much_ less
> actual water around the fitbit and much less dynamic pressure from any
> of your movement.
>
> >  I’m pretty sure that it won’t be able to measure fin kicks accurately,
> otherwise I would have been in a different country after the dive.
>
> You clearly have a different approach to diving that I do. If I have
> to kick a lot, it's a bad dive. Being in a different country would be
> a "I'm so done with this dive, I'll just abort, this is no fun".
>
> > The main reason I wear it is to measure my heart rate. It would be cool
> if I can import that into a log as well, since my Shearwater Teric doesn’t
> have heart rate measurement possibilities.
>
> We do support heartrate, but we have no sane way to import it from a
> fitbit into subsurface.
>
> *If* you can figure out how to (a) get the data out of the fitbit and
> (b) synchronize the fitbit times with the dive (possibly by using the
> atmospheric pressure data to at least see where the dive starts and
> ends?) I suspect the best way to do it is by just scripting something
> around the subsurface XML or git save formats (ie bypass subsurface
> entirely, just work with the datafiles).
>

> (a) like suunto , It could be a third-party problem, like a tiny script
> (b) We assume all clocks are in sync , that's because we use clocks no?

What about to make it possible in XML file, to add heart rate (I think it
is already) and strokes/min ratio attributes to the "sample" tag? The
script in (a) would be in charge to append the data to the file.

> So it's one of those "I'm convinced it's entirely possible, but it's
> really outside the scope of what subsurface itself would do".
>

> I love subsurface, and I love the graph view, you don't find usable one
more line with your finning strokes ratio?, stats about it and so on?
> Your only problem is to rely on activity bands or so, but I think to
trust in one source or another, is the user decision. Like adding your air
consumption by memory, wetnotes  or transmisor.