services should be back up - power outage

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:30:21 PDT 2020

Hi Dirk,

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 07:00, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <
subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> To conserve money, much of the infrastructure is actually running in my
> basement.
> All of course on a UPS, with redundant internet connection, etc.
>
> Power went out today. And my UPS failed.

I've always wondered what that U in UPS actually stands for.

> So all Subsurface infrastructure was down for about three hours.
>
> My apologies.
>
> Thank you for keeping this all going; there is no need to apologize.  I
work for a Fortune 500 company with various forms of IT infrastructure
provided and supported by the likes of Microsoft, IBM and Bentley -
presumably for an obscene fee.  Yet somehow a server in your basement
running at your own expense is more reliable, and when it falters you get
it back up and running in a few hours and manage not to lose data.