services should be back up - power outage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 30 22:00:40 PDT 2020

> On Sep 30, 2020, at 8:36 PM, Chirana Gheorghita Eugeniu Theodor <office at adaptcom.ro> wrote:
>
> What would be needed to have a secondary server in a new location? what setup are we talking about?

It’s actually rather difficult to load-balance this without adding a ton (and I mean a TON) of infrastructure that I’m not really interested in maintaining. I have spent a bit of time trying to figure out if there’s a way to cheat and not need a storage engine, but if there is, I haven’t found any pointers on how to do this.

I do have a way to do a hot standby, I may have deleted that hot standby from AWS because I was ticked off about the money they charged me for it - when it never once got used. And this still had the problem with figuring out how to implement the traffic distribution without incurring even more AWS fees.

So, long story short - yes, I could do better. No, every time I start down that rat hole I either get stuck with a really gnarly technical issue that I can’t figure out or, more commonly, I get annoyed by how quickly this adds up to being even more money that I spend on Subsurface every month. The beauty of the current situation is that outside the (grumble, grumble) hours that I spend on this, there isn’t really any additional cost. I have the bandwidth, I have the VMware vSphere multi host home lab setup like any reasonable… never mind, I have a fun home setup anyway so I have the capacity to host all of it here… so that’s what I do :-)

And most of the time it works pretty well. Today’s outage blew my 99.99% average that I’ve been aiming for, but overall, it’s not too bad :-]

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 01:31 Rick Walsh via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org <mailto:subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>> wrote:
> To conserve money, much of the infrastructure is actually running in my basement.
> All of course on a UPS, with redundant internet connection, etc.
>
> Power went out today. And my UPS failed.
> I've always wondered what that U in UPS actually stands for.

Oh, speaking of saving money… yeah, I bought a new UPS. Oh, and one of my little NUCs needed a bigger NVMe M.2 SSD.
So maybe I really don’t understand how to save money :-)

> Thank you for keeping this all going; there is no need to apologize.  I work for a Fortune 500 company with various forms of IT infrastructure provided and supported by the likes of Microsoft, IBM and Bentley - presumably for an obscene fee.  Yet somehow a server in your basement running at your own expense is more reliable, and when it falters you get it back up and running in a few hours and manage not to lose data.

You are SO KIND. Thank you for those words. I needed them this week :-/