testprofile on i686

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Thu Dec 2 15:04:00 PST 2021

On Wednesday, 1 December 2021 14:21:28 PST Linus Torvalds via subsurface
wrote:
> I'm not seeing what's going on, but it smells like some instability in
> the calculations rather than some extra non-ieee precision of the
> i387.

An easy way to verify if it is the 387 extra precision is to remove it: add
-msse2 -mfpmath=sse to your C/C++ build flags throughout Subsurface and unit
test builds and see of the problem disappears.

BTW, Qt by default builds itself with those two flags on i386. Since no one
has complained that Subsurface doesn't run on their 20+-year-old computer, we
could turn it on for Subsurface too.