more Statistics fun, now even for mobile - with some caveats

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Jan 11 04:12:50 PST 2021

On 2021/01/11 01:25, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:

> I just merged yet another set of changes, their main purpose is to get
> us closer to being able to show the statistics in the mobile app.
>
> There are a few caveats (and because of a couple of them, I'm not
> QUITE ready to make new iOS and Android test builds available just yet):
>
> This changes the way the statistics get rendered. In order for them to
> be usable in the QML UI, we need to do something that is pretty
> atrocious. To quote from the commit message:
>
> It turns out that the wrong base class was used for the chart.
> QQuickWidget can only be used on desktop, not in a mobile UI.
>
> Therefore, turn this into a QQuickItem and move the container
> QQuickWidget into desktop-only code.
>
> Currently, this code is insane: The chart is rendered onto a
> QGraphicsScene (as it was before), which is then rendered into
> a QImage, which is transformed into a QSGTexture, which is then
> projected onto the device. This is performed on every mouse
> move event, since these events in general change the position
> of the info-box.
>
> The plan is to slowly convert elements such as the info-box into
> QQuickItems. Browsing the QtQuick documentation, this will
> not be much fun.
>
> So in certain situations this can lead to 100% CPU consumption -
> Berthold has seen this situation, I have not in my testing.
> This definitely causes a lot of wasted CPU cycles in the desktop
> version and means there's the chance for visual artifacts (and if you
> see those, please report with screenshot), but in my testing it seemed
> to behave basically the same as the old version.
> And excitingly, this gives us statistics on mobile (here a screenshot
> from mobile-on-desktop, but with the screen resolution of my phone
> simulated)
>

> There are quite a few issues that still need to be addressed
> (including selection of charts), but it's already surprisingly usable.
>
> This got merged now in order to make sure we don't have diverging code
> basis and to increase the testing of the code that will eventually be
> in the next release (instead of testing the older code that would
> never work for mobile).
>
> There is a LOT of good stuff happening right now, I think.
>
> Also in the pipeline is the addition of calculated deco ceilings on
> mobile - something quite a few people have been asking about.
>
> /D

I am immensely impressed. This is a great step for the long term
viability of Subsurface: you all know my strong contention that mobile
platforms will replace most laptops, making the desktop version obsolete.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf