Subsurface User GUI access to read-only cloud git repository

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Jan 17 04:46:00 PST 2021

Willem,

> On 17. Jan 2021, at 13:18, Willem Ferguson via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> Every time when something has gone wrong with saving dives to cloud, Dirk has to step in and correct the user blunder. Is there a fairly simple way to allow a user to step backwards and forwards in the Git tree? I suspect that the dive log Git repository on the cloud has a reasonably linear structure. It should not be to difficult to have a button that says "Load previous log", which causes the git pointer to move backwards and load the previously saved dive log. And, of course, the opposite for stepping forward. The specific dive log being accessed could be shown in the Subsurface window header, something like "Subsurface: Jan2021.ssrf (123 dives) Cloud dive log dated Jan 10 2021 07:47:23". The only way in which a user could save dive log changes in her/his cloud repository should be by selecting a git dive log as the current and final version, downloading to laptop and editing a dive. Stepping up and down the git tree should not involve any changes to the repository at all. A GUI facility such as this would make Subsurface exceptional if not unique among all existing database applications.

I think this is more complicated. As soon as you allow a user to step back in time and save from there you lose the linear structure and it becomes a tree. And with merges it becomes a more general graph. There are a lot of good git graphicaI user interfaces. A user could use any of those to achieve what you suggest.

Robert