mobile version testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jan 18 09:21:24 PST 2021

> On Jan 18, 2021, at 8:45 AM, Attilla de Groot <attilla at attilla.nl> wrote:
>
> Just updated. The colors of the statistics don’t match the dark mode, but I don’t mind that. The font-size in the statistics menu seem to be correct now.

Yeah, the statistics itself is drawn in C++ code that currently isn't dark mode aware. That's something we'll add, but as the code is under very active development, now may not be the best time to do so.
But I will try to remember to do that before an actual release :-)

>>> If I’m leaving out the dark mode/statistics, the only “problem” is the top menu(?) header. It seems that all fontsizes are changed, except for that one. Only when on “extra large” the font sizes seem to match, but everything else doesn’t aline as I would expect it to.
>>
>> Technically you didn't answer my question... I'll try to phrase it differently.
>>
>> So, let's say you switch to 'small' as your font. Then you quit the app. Simple on Android with the back button. Or swipe it away in the app switcher.
>> If you now restart, do you still have the same problem?
>
> I thought I wrote that, but multitasking (packing, going home from the tropical island). Yes, even when restarting the top bar seems to be the only one that has an issue left.

"going home from the tropical island"

Yeah, I haven't been on an airplane in almost eleven months and much as I miss diving, risking my life (and the health of my lungs) doesn't appear to be the right trade-off for me. But maybe you are flying your private jet and this isn't as much of an issue :-)

I'm disappointed that you do see that issue with the title bar, but at least now I have that confirmation and can try to dig some more to figure out what I missed in all this. Maybe it's a timing issue that the value is determined to early... I noticed that there are order of initialization differences between iOS and Android (which seems insane) - and most of my testing is indeed on Android or directly with mobile-on-desktop. So I'll do some more iOS testing, I guess.

>> Because I do see this problem sometimes when changing fonts in the running app. I tried to make sure that the title bar is resized as well, but that still isn't 100% working.
>> But once you restart the app, the title bar for me is ALWAYS correct. So if this isn't working for you... something is weird.
>>
>> You also didn't send me a screenshot of the Theme test page in a case where you have the mis-sized title bar (go to the main menu -> Developer -> Theme information)
>
> Hereby, but that looks quite weird. :-)

Yes, the theme test page looks flat out ridiculous in dark mode. Something else to at least mildly touch up... but the page does show that there is something really screwy on your phone with font size vs. gridUnit size.
On ALL of my devices the number of characters shown in the last box is fairly consistent somewhere between 11 and 12. On your phone it's more than 15. And just trying this again, my iPad pro is a bit of an outlier in the other direction with only 9
So clearly there's "something" where iOS behaves differently when we try to get all the sizes to work consistently together. Now I have a good starting point to figure this out.

Yay.