Building subsurface ?

Mark Stiebel mark at stiebel.me
Sun Mar 21 21:31:59 PDT 2021

>>I have a headless Debian Buster server as well as my Windows box.
>>Given your comment below, I thought I'd first try to build native
>>Linux, but have already come to a hurdle! Not having used Qt either
>>adds a bit more to the learning curve. But nothing is insurmountable,
>>even for an old dog :)
>>
>>~/src/subsurface/build$ ./subsurface
>>QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context
>>ASSERT: "QOpenGLFunctions::isInitialized(d_ptr)" in file
>>/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/QtGui/qopenglfunctions.h, line 886
>>Aborted
>>~/src/subsurface/build$
>
>So Subsurface can easily be BUILT on a headless Debian box - but then
>for running it, you need some way to display the screen, right?
>We do actually have a headless version that is intended to be used on
>Raspberry Pi or other small systems simply as a downloader, but that's
>likely not the direction you are looking for.
>So what you built above, is a native Linux app that will run on a Linux
>system that has an real (or virtual) display.
>Well, I don't know. The turnaround time is really painful. It might be
>more fun to build under Linux. Where / how are you running this
>headless Debian system? Is this a VM under HyperV? Or is there a way
>you could install a VM with a desktop Linux somewhere? That will really
>make the learning curve so much less steep...
I should have articulated more clearly ..  it is a physical PC running
Debian Buster that I use for a few services (mostly web based), and I
usually just SSH into it for admin. I do have VcXsrv on my Windows box
so when required can run X clients. I compiled subsurface, which
appeared to complete with only a few type conversion warnings, but
executing it from within an xterm gave me the OpenGL error.  It may very
well be an issue with VcXsrv not playing nice with OpenGL.

I could install a Fedora or Ubuntu desktop VM to eliminate VcXsrv as a
culprit.

Mark.