Building subsurface ?

Mark Stiebel mark at stiebel.me
Tue Mar 23 16:44:57 PDT 2021

>Some useful info on debugging GL over SSH
>Using the GUI on a remote machine — Installation 2020 documentation
>(scm.com) <https://www.scm.com/doc/Installation/Remote_GUI.html>

I had a quick breeze through that, and it seems more geared around the X
server and client running each running on different linux, or unix-like
machines. Not across Linux and Windows.

>>So Subsurface does work across X.
>>I think (if memory serves) you may need to set the environment
>>variable.
>>exportLIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
By the nature of the environment, most graphical Linux applications work
across X. It just becomes a little problematic sometimes getting X to
play nice with Windows.

I've managed to get it working now, by disabling native opengl when
starting VcXsrv, and not setting LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT. Both the snap
version and my build from source work running on my linux server using
VcXsrv on Win10 as the display. The UI is a bit laggy, but it works.

Mark.