Subsurface mobile general question

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Nov 14 23:33:09 PST 2021

Hi Willem,

thank you for your comments.

> On 15. Nov 2021, at 08:18, Willem Ferguson via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>

>> I meant more the other way around: If you diluent also contains O2, you underestimate the O2 consumption if you only use the pressure drop in the O2 cylinder.
> The O2 consumption under CCR is not a dive characteristic because the diver can bail out to OC. So O2-consumption would be a cylinder-level characteristic, associated with cylinder 0 ?? (i.e. the diluent cylinder because as far as I can remember the O2 cylinder does not explicitly exist in the Subsurface CCR dive log). In pSCR bailout is often part of the normal dive procedure during deco.

Bailout is of course a special case. And yes, it should be handled dive segment by dive segment like an OC dive with several cylinders.

PSCR is again a completely different thing. I would argue it’s closer to OC as the absolute consumption is also depth dependent. Are there any significant number of divers still using those? All I knew personally moved on to CCR. I don’t really know about how Subsurface handles the two types of cylinders for a CCR. Amongst those dives we use for testing is test40.xml which is a CCR dive with both an air diluent as well as oxygen cylinder and gas is used from both. I don’t know if that is typical. Do we have magic cylinder numbers like 0 that indicate diluent? I wasn’t aware of that.

>> So here is a question I have: For a typical CCR dive, what is the ratio between used O2 and used diluent? I understand this depends on how often descend and how often you flush but what is a ballpark type figure?
>>
> As a ball park approximation, many CCR dives (up to 65m) are done using air as a diluent, supplemented with oxygen from the O2 cylinder to make up for oxygen consumed as well as for higher O2 levels during shallower deco.

But what is the ratio of diluent use to O2 use? That test dive uses 123 liters of O2 and 100 liters of air.

Best
Robert