Replacement GPS logging app for iPhone

Jason Bramwell jb2cool at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 06:51:52 PDT 2021

I currently use the old no longer maintained Subsurface companion app for capturing my GPS position, this worked well for me and I didn’t really see any reason to switch my GPS logging to the newer Subsurface-mobile app. The old phone (this is the only thing I use it for) I use for capturing these GPS points is slowly dying and will need to be replaced at some point, the old app will not work on newer versions of iOS so I need to find an alternate solution.

Subsurface-Mobile no longer supports GPS capture so that is no longer an option So I thought I’d tell others what app I have replaced it with (or am planning to use) as I’ve looked at quite a few and there has always been a catch or a problem with each one I’ve looked at before now.

I’ve found an app today that seems to do exactly what I want, it captures GPS positions either as a one-time capture or an an automatic capture based on a time delay or distance between points. You can display the captured points either as a simple sequential list or visualise them on a map to pick the one you want.

I’m hoping to try this for real alongside the old companion app) in the coming week but it looks like I now have something that’ll work for me.

This is on iPhone, I don’t know if the same app is available on Android but if not this one then something similar will be out there. Perhaps Android users can reply with what they are using to save others the searching for something that isn’t junk.

Regards
Jason