WebKit -> WebEngine

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Oct 31 08:11:57 PDT 2021

HI everybody,

I wanted to report on my progress in replacing Subsurface’s use of WebKit by WebEngine. I had already done this in the part of the user manual, but as this transition was only fragmentary at the time the corresponding code was removed at a later point.

So I reinserted it and also made quite some progress on the printing part. So much that I want to share it with you at this point. You can find it at

https://github.com/atdotde/subsurface/tree/webengineagain

I removed a lot of code originally contributed by Gehad ElRobey as a GSoC student in 2015 but what I have now appears to be a lot simpler to me.

It still requires some cleaning up and there are a few things to fix. Specifically, at the moment, the print preview is broken and there is a mysterious empty page at the end of the print out. But I think the bulk of the work is done and it is time more eyes should have a look. I particular I would like to hear from Lubomir as he was the project’s mentor at the time IIRC.

Best
Robert