WebKit -> WebEngine

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Oct 31 11:58:24 PDT 2021

HI Lubomir,

this is a problem I wasn’t aware of and indeed it’s really a bummer.

> On 31. Oct 2021, at 18:23, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> one question i would have is - what is the motivation for this port
> and what do we gain from it?

My understanding was that from Qt, the announced direction was clear: Abandon WebKit and move to WebEngine! For example, for a while Qt5 stopped shipping WebKit at all with its binaries and you had to build it yourself for every new version. And this seems to be even stronger with Qt6, it was my understanding that WebKit is dropped for good. I made this new attempt because a) I was tired of building WebKit myself and even more as a step towards moving to Qt6 (which seems to be the only hope to have support for Apple Silicone at all in any kind of near future). But as mentioned in the other thread, it is by far the only obstacle of moving to Qt6.

For the time being, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I just have to reintroduce a number of #ifdefs to make the choice between WebEngine and WebKit optional depending on what is available for the system at hand. I just removed those as I was under the impression that the transition is a clear step forward. The transition does not add any functionality. I would only argue that it simplifies the printing logic quite a bit.

Best
Robert