WebKit -> WebEngine

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 31 12:16:19 PDT 2021

> On Oct 31, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i think the major blocker here was that building QWebEngine on Windows
> does not work with MINGW. required MSVC.
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-platform-notes.html#all-platforms
>
>>> Visual Studio 2017 version 15.8 or later, or clang-cl version 8 or later
>
> they seem to support clang now as well.
>
> the framework we are using to cross-build Subsurface from Linux to
> Windows (MXE) did not provide QWebEngine binaries.
> has this changed?
>
> porting from WebKit to WebEngine is fine, but if we can't build it and
> deploy it with the current set of tools, that's a problem.
> cc Dirk, as he might remember these details better.
>
> one question i would have is - what is the motivation for this port
> and what do we gain from it?

QtWebKit isn't supporting Qt 6 and the maintainers seem have all disappeared
with not activity in the repo for over a year. A couple of questions here and there
all resulted in "this is EOL, move to something else".

I had forgotten about the QWebEngine and MXE issue. MXE of course doesn't
have Qt 6 at all, yet. And it has QtWebKit and QtWebView, but not QtWebEngine.

So that's something I will need to also look into.

This is the largest pain in all this. The support matrix for the various technology
choices that we have :(