WebKit -> WebEngine

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 13:04:45 PDT 2021

On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 at 21:20, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > On Oct 31, 2021, at 11:58 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

thanks for the responses Dirk and Robert.
i read the other threads to got more familiar with the rest of the
problems with the Qt6 transition.

> > For the time being, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I just have to reintroduce a number of #ifdefs to make the choice between WebEngine and WebKit optional depending on what is available for the system at hand. I just removed those as I was under the impression that the transition is a clear step forward. The transition does not add any functionality. I would only argue that it simplifies the printing logic quite a bit.

> While I think that having the cleaner code would be a huge win - if we completely lose Windows support (still our largest user group - but Android is catching up), that would suck.
And of course, eventually we'll have to transition to Qt 6 everywhere,
including Windows, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there :/

having the #ifdefs and continuing to build for Windows using Qt5 +
WebKit seems like an OK temporary solution here.
as mentioned earlier, i can help with reviews.

lubomir