interesting oddity in SAC rate display in profile infobox

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 9 11:01:08 PDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:26 AM Robert Helling via subsurface
<subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> The problem is that the code that interpolates the pressures between staring and ending pressure by assuming a constant SAC is, how can I put it, an interesting project to understand….

Yeah, the code should actually be changed to not work on pressures at
all, but on actual gas volume.

So the "interpolate pressures", should take the beginning/end
pressures, turn those into actual volume (with compressibility etc),
then interpolate that volume in that range assuming a constant SAC,
and then write the interpolated volumes back as pressures again (with
compressibility).

It shouldn't be fundamentally hard to do that conversion, but that
code is, as you say, "interesting". It was interesting when it was
written before all the compressibility code, it's doubly interesting
now that it's several years old and people have forgotten some of the
details.

              Linus