Removing all gps features

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Mon Sep 13 02:01:41 PDT 2021

Hi Dirk,

thank you very much for all your help and all your comments!

> On 12. Sep 2021, at 22:09, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> Ahh yes... the usual experience... time for my rant of how much I hate maintaining all these builds....
> I honestly try to keep things working with the GitHub actions, but it's just so unbelievably frustrating and tedious.
> So, let's see, how do I currently build Subsurface-mobile for iOS...
>
> git clone git://github <git://github>.com/subsurface/subsurface
> ln -s PATHTOQTFORIOS ./Qt
>
> Then run essentially the following in as a script:
>
> QT_PATH="$(cd Qt ; ls -d 5.*/ios/include/QtCore/5* | tr '.' '_')"
> QT_VERSION=${QT_PATH##*/}
>
> if [ ! -d build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release ] ; then
>         echo "cannot find the build folder build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release"
>         echo "creating a new one"
> fi
> mkdir -p build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release
>
> TOP=$(pwd)
> cd subsurface
> bash packaging/ios/build.sh

This brings me back to yesterday’s error with the architecture confusion.

> Now start Xcode and open the Xcode project in build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release/Subsurface-mobile.xcodeproj
> You should be able to build and run that on your device.

The problem is, there is no xcodeproj file. This is supposed to be created by some qmake run at some point, isn’t it?

> I do this on macOS 10.15 because macOS 11 is a pile of bovine excrement and breaks so many things it's not even funny.
> And of course I do this on an Intel mac, not an m1 one.
> None of this is to say that this wouldn't work with macOS 11 or with an m1 mac, it's just that  can't tell you one way or the other.

I am trying this on an old intel MBP with Big Sur...

>> On Sep 12, 2021, at 7:34 AM, Robert.Helling <robert at neu.atdotde.de <mailto:robert at neu.atdotde.de>> wrote:
>> I had a Sunday afternoon free, so I wanted to give it a shot. Addiert the capability to receive files based on mime-type from other apps seems not to require greater magic according to
>>
>> https://www.qt.io/blog/2018/02/06/sharing-files-android-ios-qt-app-part-3 <https://www.qt.io/blog/2018/02/06/sharing-files-android-ios-qt-app-part-3>
> Yes, all of these things are super easy and if the blog post you follow is older than approximately 6 weeks the likelihood of this still working as documented is similar to correctly predicting the Lotto numbers.
> Since February 2018 our iOS build broke four times IIRC. Which is better than Android where absolutely everything changed and broke and nothing from 2018 is even remotely related to the way things need to be done today.
> Also, both stores have dramatically tightened their rules for absolutely everything since then...
>
> So, yeah, sure, this might work. In my experience it will be weeks of trial and error and googling before it works in reality. And that thing will be broken within a year.
>
> But hey, that's just my cheerful outlook on the joy of how we support our mobile platforms :)

Hurray!

> Oh, so you are talking about building mobile-on-desktop? That's a different can of worms.
>
> rule #1 on macOS - you always, always need to run make install - it sometimes magically works without it, but usually it fails with weird errors.

I can report that at least this did the job. mobile on desktop now runs (but isn’t helpful for the gpx issue as we both noted before, I was only afraid that this is somehow a prerequisite for the iOS build).

>> Rather cd to packaging/ios and run ./build.sh from there.
>>
>> I am at a point where this fails with the kirigami libraries:
>>
>> + /Users/Helling/Qt/5.14.0/ios/bin/qmake /Users/Helling/mobile4/subsurface/mobile-widgets/3rdparty/kirigami/kirigami.pro CONFIG+=release
>> Info: creating stash file /Users/Helling/mobile4/kirigami-build/.qmake.stash
>> Project ERROR: Cannot run target compiler '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++'. Output:
>
> From the error it seems to simply be confused. Try following the steps above. Before you do that, make sure that you have the current Xcode and that you started it at least once to make sure you clicked on all the accept buttons that it throws at you.

That’s what I thought as well but Xcode seems to be uptodate and also the command-line-tools. I guess what I really need is to get the xcodeproj file somehow.

Will keep trying. Later.

Best
Robert