Media option: Save dive data as subtitles.

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Sep 24 11:03:47 PDT 2021

Hi,

> On 24. Sep 2021, at 19:54, Willem Ferguson via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> I share your point of view because I am an old style underwater still photographer. But every second diver has a Gopro these days and if any of them use Subsurface the facility is probably useful. If I were a videographer I would probably use this option.

yes, I admit, I added that feature. Not only I don’t take underwater videos, I don’t take underwater pictures. Actually, to be honest, I should probably say I don’t even dive. At least I have not in a year (but I bought an action cam with underwater housing last black Friday…).

But I see many people with action cams in the water. And the subtile feature mimics a feature of the Paralense cams that are at much higher prize than GoPro and its clones. So I thought it will be useful and potentially useful. But yes, It has not received much testing. And true, running ffmpeg on the command line is not what many Windows uses do on a daily basis. But the file format is pretty standard so my assumption is that any decent video editing software will be able to read it. But having zero experience with underwater videography, editing software or Windows more recent than XP this is admittedly a guess.

Best
Robert