experimental Apple Qt6 fat binary

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Apr 10 18:22:30 PDT 2022

This is specifically for the Mac users on this list.

I have an early attempt of an Apple fat binary, based on Qt 6.3.0 RC with a locally compiled QtLocation library.
This is working "OK" on the m1 laptop that I took with me on my dive trip, but I didn't bring an x86 Mac.

If you have access to a Mac running macOS 11.3 or newer (sorry, can't build for older than that and do a fat binary), either m1 or Intel. would you give this binary a test please and report back here?

https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-5.0.8-12-macOS-fat-Qt6.dmg <https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-5.0.8-12-macOS-fat-Qt6.dmg>

Download the dmg and open it. For me double clicking on the icon doesn't appear to work, so you'll have to launch things from a terminal

simply start

/Volumes/Subsurface-5.0.8-12-ge37babefa713/Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/Subsurface

BTW: this DMG and the binary inside aren't signed (I didn't bring my signing keys with me, not expecting to get this far, but we ended up not diving today so there was some time to dig into this...).

Open your cloud storage, try downloading, look at the statistics, do a few things.
For me here locally things seem to work (except no printing since we don't have QtWebKit). But maps work, downloading works, etc.

I'd love to know how this does on Intel Macs and on other people's m1 Macs :)

Thanks

/D

PS: no, I don't see myself switching to this as the default binary for Mac any time soon - the lack of printing alone is issue enough. But I do want to continue to work on m1 support as I think more and more of our users will get a new Mac at some point. And not making them go through Rosetta seems like a good thing. Similarly, at some point we'll need to think about moving to Qt6 as our default environment.