experimental Apple Qt6 fat binary

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 13 21:50:08 PDT 2022

Hi Rainer,

> On Apr 13, 2022, at 01:57, Rainer Mohr <mail at divelogs.de> wrote:
>
> Realized, that there are a few dives missing, so I get them from divelogs.de. Download works fine, but after clicking "apply" it tries to merge an then crashes. Can reproduce any time. Report attached
>
> This "apply" and merge does work on a local logbook.

So this means that it's some odd random memory corruption that happens in one scenario, not in another, because otherwise it should crash in both scenarios.

> Also works on my Version 5.0.5 I still had installed on this Mac with both local and cloud logbook
>
> @Dirk, you have explicit permission to access my cloud dives if that helps in any way

That's likely not enough - I'd need to be able to download your dive data from dive logs.de as well in order to recreate that merge scenario that causes the crash.

I had hoped that the offsets in the stack trace would be pointing me at a specific line in the code, but at least the crash one is clearly bogus.

READ of size 4 at 0x000166f1de10 thread T0
#0 0x102c08efc in copy_dc_renumber+0x7a8 (Subsurface:arm64+0x100708efc)
#1 0x102c0404c in join_dive_computers+0xc8 (Subsurface:arm64+0x10070404c)

the copy_dc_renumber function isn't 0x7a8 or 1960 bytes long...
At first I thought maybe the compiler had inlined something there, but actually that's way past the end of that object file...

I might be able to get something useful with a backtrace from a life app if I can reproduce this locally.
And of course I should be able to instrument the build a bit more - which always risks to hide the problem for things like this one...

The other thing that's (as always) annoying is that I tell the tooling not to strip the binary, but somehow, somewhere, it gets stripped...

Dang.

I spent the last three hours on this flight trying to figure out how to get a DMG that contains the debug symbols for the app - no such luck.
And while I figured out how to get at least a little bit of log info for apps that crash when double clicked, using macOS' log app, I still can'f figure out WH|Y it silently crashes when I double click, but doesn't crash when started from the command line...