List of computers supported on mobile versions

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Apr 25 13:35:55 PDT 2022

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 12:55 PM Jason Bramwell via subsurface
<subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> If you want Subsurface-mobile connectivity then I’d personally limit the computers you are looking at to Bluetooth models. You can start with a list of computers that you’ve already found and then discard anything that is not Bluetooth.

Note that even within "bluetooth" there are certainly differences.

Legacy bluetooth ("classic") doesn't work with iOS, so look for BLE.

.. and not all BLE products are created equal. The Mares BlueLink is
BLE-capable in theory. In practice it doesn't actually seem to work.

And even when BLE is there, and works, there can be gotchas.
Shearwater - at least their newer dive computers - seems to be pretty
reliable, for example, but gets iffy if you try to connect from
multiple devices. So stick to one device for downloading (and at least
personally I tend to re-pair a _lot_).

We don't really have a list of "known good", I am afraid. But apart
from the Mares BlueLink, I *think* we generally work with anything
that does BLE and we claim to support it.

Oh - one notable exception is the Garmin ones. They do do BLE, but the
synchronization protocol is very complicated and so the BLE side of
the Garmin ones is only for uploading to the Garmin cloud. To sync
with subsurface you either use the USB cable, or you can download the
FIT files from Garmin cloud and sync that way. Neither of which really
works on mobile.

I personally use Shearwater (Perdix AI, now Teric) and Suunto EON Core
(the EON Steel/Black and the D5 use the same BLE protocol, though).

OSTC has several people using it.

The newer Aqualung and Scubapro models also seem to work (knock wood).

            Linus