List of computers supported on mobile versions

JB2Cool jb2cool at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 03:24:33 PDT 2022

It's a nice idea but I personally can't really see this working.

I'd imagine that most manufacturers will want to push their own software
and wouldn't want to advertise other software projects they don't have any
control over, they may view Subsurface as a bit of a grey area, some may be
ok with us but some might view us as a bit of an exploit to what they might
think is their closed ecosystem (I have no evidence of this, i'm
speculating here). If they were to advertise other software tools then they
might want paying for it as some of the other dive logging apps are pay-for
apps so dive computer manufacturers will likely want their slice of the pie.

What would the approval process look like, who would approve this? There
are multiple pieces in the chain with dive computer hardware revisions,
dive computer firmware versions, phone/laptop models, phone/laptop
operating systems and that's all before you've gotten to Subsurface
versions. Some of these combinations would work whereas some of these
combinations wouldn't (Shearwater computers are a sood example, they work
reliably for some people and less reliably for others, connecting to the
phone also seems to be more reliable than connecting to the laptop). So
although I can't see dive computer manufacturers saying they support
Subsurface, we already say which dive computers are supported so have sort
of done this but in the opposite direction, this as far as i'm aware is the
norm for third party tools.

I suspect that the geeks and those that already want to use a third party
manufacturer agostic dive logbook can find out about Subsurface, whereas
the majority of the diving communityvill just use whatever comes with
their computer.

Lastly and probably the main reason I can't see this going anywhere is that
Dirk already has enough on his plate and volunteers that might be able to
pick up the slack are a bit thin on the ground.

Jason