List of computers supported on mobile versions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 28 07:44:03 PDT 2022

> On Apr 28, 2022, at 1:52 AM, Daniel wrote:
> | And yes... we should make this information in a far more easily accessible manner...
> |
> | Yet another project to add to the long todo list...
>
> Thank you Dirk ( & Co. ) for your answer.
> I better feel the depth of the problem.
>
> Would it be a working starting point to involve computers makers through:
> 	"Would you be motivated in putting on a label telling your computer is
> 	**Subsurface compatible** or **approved**?
> 	This might be a way to reach a large divers and geeks community,
> 	and to make a positive advertising about your product sustainability,
> 	openness and usability."

As others have mentioned, this is quite literally the opposite of what most dive
computer vendors want to do. With the exception of heinrichs weikamp (who
indeed actively promote that their devices are supported by Subsurface and
who don't have their own log software), basically all other dive computer vendors
have their own log software and the vast majority of them has a clear business
model behind that. If you get used to a specific dive log app, when it comes time
to buy your next dive computer, you are likely to buy one that allows you to continue
to use that software - so from the same brand.

The degree to which the vendors are going down that path is different. Some have
dreams of their own social media universe that will take over the diving world, some
just want to have full control of the user experience, some clearly have a marketing
department that doesn't talk to software department who don't talk to support.

As a result, we have some dive computer vendors who actively work with us (for
example aforementioned heinrichs weikamp or Shearwater), some occasionally
work with us (Suunto, Atomics Aquatics), others generally make our lives hard
(Aqualung and that whole Oceanic / Huish industrial complex)