understanding the sensor values in our samples

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Apr 28 11:06:19 PDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 10:34 AM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> > On Apr 28, 2022, at 10:30 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > Can you send me the test-case so that I can follow along?
>
> Yep, will do off list.

Ok, so that makes *one* of the bugs very obvious.

The cylinder_with_sensor_sample() function indeed only tests "do we
have a mapping to this cylinder for this sample".

But it doesn't actually test "does the sample have an actual
_reading_?" as part of that.

That's what is causing the pointless "The deleted cylinder has sensor
readings, which will be lost." warning.

Trivial patch attached. We could do this other ways - maybe we could
do it as part of some cylinder cleanup phase where we just remove the
sensor[] thing for cylinders without any sensor data.

But this trivial patch is right regardless, and worth doing.

But I think one of the reports had a "subsurface crashes" in it too,
and I don't see _that_ part.

Was there some way to reproduce the crash? I ran it (very very slowly)
under valgrind too, and there were no complaints when removing the
cylinder (now without any warning), so it's at least not something
hugely obvious.

               Linus