5.0.6 released and some other news

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 2 11:27:22 PST 2022

Hi everyone

I've been a bit distracted with other things (see below), but I finally managed to tag and push out 5.0.6

A few bug fixes, and the massive rewrite of the profile code that you all have been busily testing these last few weeks.
The stats speak very loudly as to who is carrying the weight of the project:

$ git shortlog -s -n v5.0.5..v5.0.6
   162  Berthold Stoeger
    19  Dirk Hohndel
     2  Robert C. Helling
     1  Jef Driesen
     1  Miika Turkia

Or, more starkly (5.0 was in late March of last year - so this is more than ten months...)

$ git shortlog -s -n v5.0.0..v5.0.6
   262  Berthold Stoeger
   138  Dirk Hohndel
    10  Robert C. Helling
     8  Linus Torvalds
     4  Tim Segers
     4  Josh Torres
     3  Miika Turkia
     2  Richard Fuchs
     2  Ryan Gardner
     1  Mark Stiebel
     1  Jef Driesen
     1  mikeller

Robert is taking some time off right now to deal with other priorities... which means we are fundamentally down to Berthold and myself. Which is sad and disappointing but maybe simply a sign that for most everyone else Subsurface has for a long time already done everything that we really needed from it (that, frankly, includes me as well).

My deep appreciation goes of course to Berthold doing most of the work these days, and to Robert, Miika, Linus, and Jef who keep working on critical parts of the code.

Of course, Jef's contributions here are massively understated since most of his work is hidden in the libdivecomputer submodule. Looking at that you get:

$ git shortlog -s -n v5.0.0..v5.0.6
    45  Jef Driesen
     9  Linus Torvalds
     3  Dirk Hohndel
     3  Nick Shore
     1  Michael Andreen
     1  Vincent Hagen

Anyway, please go forth, try it out. And point out to me which part of the process I messed up this time around. I'm sure there's something I forgot. I always do.

And finally some other news...

A few weeks ago I resigned from my position at VMware. I'm hoping to take a few weeks off while looking for something new and interesting to do. Working full time on Subsurface doesn't really seem like a good path to maintaining my standard of living :)

In theory this should mean that I have more time to spend on Subsurface for a while. We'll see how that goes. One thing that I did do to get myself motivated to work on stuff is that I bought a Mac with an m1 processor... having one of those in front of me hopefully will motivate me to tackle all the missing pieces to get that working... and of course there are a million other things in the back log that won't result in new features, but in extending the life of the things that we already have working today.

If there are things that you think I SHOULD be working on - please drop me a note :)

All the best