restarting our FAQ

Crawford Currie curriedot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:51:27 PST 2022

Do you really need to translate the FAQ? FAQs are normally used to try
to stop support channels from getting choked with trivia. I see
questions on the subsurface forum
<https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/subsurface-divelog> falling into three
broad categories:

 1. questions that should be answered by RTFM
 2. questions that relate to specific hosts / dive computers
 3. questions that are too deep for the doc

- RTFM questions should be addressed by accessible, easy to consume
documentation, and the project already does that really well,

- Deep questions is what I think the forum should really be about, which
leaves:

- Specific hosts / dive computers. This is a constantly moving target,
as dive computer tech moves forward apace, and trying to maintain a
translated FAQ for the dozens of brands and models out there does not
sound like an efficient use of developer or translator time.

Personally I'm not a fan of tablets-of-stone FAQs anyway, as they rarely
answer my questions and just end up being a source of frustration. What
is frequently asked today may not be so frequently asked next year - but
the answers to last year's questions may still be relevant to someone.

For long-tail projects like Subsurface, I much prefer the stackoverflow
approach, where answers can come from anyone and spam is dealt with by
user moderation. Failing that, a wiki (again with user moderation) can
also work, though it requires more work from the dev team to define and
maintain an effective taxonomy.

With respect to translation, anyone seriously looking for answers is
quite capable of pasting into Google Translate. ;-)

C.