restarting our FAQ

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Tue Feb 8 13:16:24 PST 2022

On 8/02/2022 21:54, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface wrote:
> I haven't spent any time at all on the GitHub wiki setup to know how easily we
> could curate this and more importantly how easily one can create useful deep
> links to specific answers that could be posted into email / the forum. I
> understand very well how to manage submissions to the GitHub.io
> <http://GitHub.io> page through PRs.
> I need to spend time to understand how that would work with the wiki. Because
> the very last thing I need on earth is another time sucking task.
>
> I'd still likely be leaning towards just a set of markdown pages on the
> GitHub.io <http://GitHub.io> site instead of a wiki - but that's mainly because
> I haven't done the work to investigate how that would really work.

That's exactly what github wikis are: a collection of markdown files managed in
a git repository. If you login to your account, you should see a link to clone
the wiki locally. Should be something like:

https://github.com/subsurface/subsurface.wiki.git

I'm using this for libdivecomputer, and so far it works well for me.

As far as I know, there is no interface for PRs, but you can always publish it
as a normal repo in the project, and then manually push to the wiki repo to
publish changes. It might even be possible to automate that last part with a
github action?

Jef