restarting our FAQ

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 16 11:18:23 PST 2022

I spent more time thinking about this. I played with the wiki and it's just not a great experience, and a PITA to maintain.
Frankly, I don't expect a lot of "random user" content.

So I redid the FAQ as a simple .MD file without the accordion.
This seems much easier to edit, much more logical.
It gives us nice easy to use anchors that allows us to point a user directly to an answer:

You have problems downloading from an older style dive computer... maybe your battery?
https://subsurface.github.io/faq/#i-get-timeouts-or-data-error-when-downloading

And the best part? Since this is a separate repository, I can now give commit rights to the people who really want to work on this, e.g. Jason, or you, and you can literally edit this in your browser:

https://github.com/subsurface/subsurface.github.io/edit/master/faq.MD

when done, you create a commit message and save it. If it's completely wrong and breaks stuff, we can easily revert changes. Etc.

This does seem like a pretty decent way of doing things.

As always, I am open to other suggestions and to rebuttals on why I'm wrong :)