Editing which cylinder a sensor is attached to

Attilla de Groot attilla at attilla.nl
Sun Feb 20 06:21:52 PST 2022

> On 20 Feb 2022, at 15:04, Michael Andreen <harv at ruin.nu> wrote:
>
> On Sunday 20 February 2022 11:56:49 CET Attilla de Groot wrote:
>> If you have a mac OS build with it, i’d be happy to try. I’m not so good at compiling it myself.
>
> I can really only build for myself on Linux.

Ok, no worries. :-)

>> I had another sidemount dive this morning though with two deco stages. I didn’t actually breath from my deco stages, but I thought doing the change on my computer would be useful for this excercise. I have included an export just after importing it and one where I have corrected the XML manually with how I think it should look. After import I see the that the following things are incorrect:
>>
>> - Wrong number of cylinders (3 instead of 4)
>> - Cylinder content is mapped to the wrong one (my secondary SM cylinder instead of first)
>> - Transmitter values have been correct this time, but I have seen that go wrong in the past (e.g when using a travel gas at the beginning of the dive)..
>>
>> After correction though, the graph still shows one of my transmitter values after the first change. If I have one transmitter when diving with a D12+stages, this doesn’t happen. So I think this is specifically to sidemount. I’m not sure how to fix this part manually. In my opinion it shouldn’t show a line for usage for either of my SM cylinders when breathing another gas.
>
> So I had a look at this profile. Nice and warm in Netherlands, I've had 5 degrees at 30 m and 2 or 3 degrees at 5 m recently. =)

Auch, I thought we had it bad.

> Even without my patch it's possible to fixup this dive with just the GUI, by changing the 2nd cylinder to 21/4, the 3rd to 50%, adding a 4th with 80% and then changing the gas change events to match the new cylinder configuration. See changeevent file.
>
> The difference with my patch is that you can do the fixup by adding a new 21/4 cylinder and then move sensor 1 to it. The end result looks fairly similar in both cases, just a question of how many steps you need to go through. See changesensors file.

I will redo my steps then and see where I went wrong. Probably your patch is more useful in the one I mentioned about the travel gas, since Subsurface selected that as cylinder 0 while it didn’t have a transmitter attached. Either way, managing transmitter info through the GUI in general seems quite useful to me.

> My change is just about changing which cylinder a sensor is attached to, and I don't really know how any of the visualization works. It looks like there is a special case that plots the pressure for all cylinders that aren't marked as use, e.g. they aren't involved in any implicit or explicit gas change events. And in this case I guess it ends at 29:32 because that's the last pressure reading before surfacing. There isn't anything in the data to indicate that two cylinders are used in side mount configuration. You could add extra events to switch between the two 21/4 cylinders, see the added events file.

I have been trying to find in the XML why subsurface stops plotting one cylinder but not the other. I assume that it stops plotting, because the “change” only affects cylinder 0 and not 1. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I would say it should only plot the active gas or all of them, but not half. :-)

— Attilla