we'll need to release a 5.0.7 pretty soon

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Mar 17 10:04:18 PDT 2022

Hi Dirk,

> On 17. Mar 2022, at 16:46, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> Ok, so admittedly, this is my fault. I wasn't paying attention to GitHub's announcements.
> Actually, I don't recall ever really noticing the announcement.
> But whatever - two days ago they turned off the git:// protocol for accessing their servers. And we used that in our submodule and in a few other places in our build scripts. Which means anyone trying to build 5.0.6 will see that build fail. Not a big deal as most people (like 99.9+% of our users) are using the binaries I make anyway. But still... we should make a new release.

I am fine with a new release (have done the German translation this morning), but how does a new release help the problem?

Just to spell it out (in case somebody runs into the problem), when pulling the latest changes from GitHub fails (I cannot reproduce the error message anymore..), what you need to do is edit

~/src/subsurface/.git/config

Look for the section

[submodule "libdivecomputer"]
         url = git://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/libdc.git

and in the URL replace git: by https: and you’re done.

Best
Robert