we'll need to release a 5.0.7 pretty soon

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 17 10:35:59 PDT 2022

> On Mar 17, 2022, at 10:04 AM, Robert Helling  wrote:
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
>> On 17. Mar 2022, at 16:46, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org <mailto:subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, so admittedly, this is my fault. I wasn't paying attention to GitHub's announcements.
>> Actually, I don't recall ever really noticing the announcement.
>> But whatever - two days ago they turned off the git:// protocol for accessing their servers. And we used that in our submodule and in a few other places in our build scripts. Which means anyone trying to build 5.0.6 will see that build fail. Not a big deal as most people (like 99.9+% of our users) are using the binaries I make anyway. But still... we should make a new release.
>
> I am fine with a new release (have done the German translation this morning), but how does a new release help the problem?

Yes, for anyone who clones the current sources (or, 5.0.7 once it's released), things will work.

The problem happens when you already have an older version checked out.
Then it depends on a number of things.
- if you checked out Subsurface via 'git://github.com...' then you need to edit your subsurface/.git/config and replace the git:// with https://
- if you checked out Subsurface via 'git at github.com:...' or 'https://github...' you should be fine and should be able to do a 'git pull origin master'
- if you instead do a 'git fetch', that will fail because it will try to access the submodule via 'git://...'

It's all a bit of a mess, really.
Manually editing '.git/config' and '.gitmodules' should allow you to replace all references to 'git://' with 'https://' and that should be sufficient.