Subsurface 5.0.7 has been released

Christof Arnosti charno at charno.ch
Fri Mar 25 07:46:06 PDT 2022

Hi,

So, I now get where the problem with the missing Strings is coming from:

I'm using German (Switzerland) locale on my secondary computer. The
German (Germany) translation is complete, but the German (Switzerland)
translation is not.

I started copying the missing values from German (Germany) to German
(Switzerland), but it's a boring manual process (transifex does not seem
to provide bulk copying between two translated languages), and I suspect
that in the future for new strings the same problem will arise. The
difference between the two languages is very small, and to be honest,
German (Switzerland) is not a very "relevant" dialect in the sense that
people who can read German (Switzerland) are guaranteed to also be able
to read German (Germany).

Before I continue my work: Would it be possible to have German (Germany)
as fallback language for German (Switzerland)? Thus, if German
(Switzerland) is selected, the order of strings would be "German
(Switzerland) -> German (Germany) -> English" instead of "German
(Switzerland) -> English"?

With this solution, a reasonable user experience would be provided to
German (Switzerland) users when Strings are updated, and the German
(Switzerland) translation is missing. For the few strings that are
different between German (Switzerland) and German (Germany), they could
be overwritten in the German (Switzerland) translation. Maybe it wouldbe
even better if German (Switzerland) would only contain the few strings
that are different in the two dialects, so that Swiss users would also
automatically get German (Germany) translation improvements...

Best
Christof