Subsurface 5.0.7 has been released

Christof Arnosti charno at charno.ch
Fri Mar 25 08:31:47 PDT 2022

Am 25.03.22 um 16:03 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:

>> On Mar 25, 2022, at 7:46 AM, Christof Arnosti <charno at charno.ch> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, I now get where the problem with the missing Strings is coming from:
>>
>> I'm using German (Switzerland) locale on my secondary computer. The
>> German (Germany) translation is complete, but the German
>> (Switzerland) translation is not.
>>
>> I started copying the missing values from German (Germany) to German
>> (Switzerland), but it's a boring manual process (transifex does not
>> seem to provide bulk copying between two translated languages), and I
>> suspect that in the future for new strings the same problem will
>> arise. The difference between the two languages is very small, and to
>> be honest, German (Switzerland) is not a very "relevant" dialect in
>> the sense that people who can read German (Switzerland) are
>> guaranteed to also be able to read German (Germany).
>>
>> Before I continue my work: Would it be possible to have German
>> (Germany) as fallback language for German (Switzerland)? Thus, if
>> German (Switzerland) is selected, the order of strings would be
>> "German (Switzerland) -> German (Germany) -> English" instead of
>> "German (Switzerland) -> English"?
>>

> I don't know if THAT is possible. But I could trivially populate all
> the strings in the Swiss translation with the de_DE strings and have
> you just modify those that aren't the same. Would that work for you.
> I'd be able to do that this evening (so maybe 12 hours from now) - I
> need to write a small script that does that and then upload the
> changes to Transifex.
This script would be a great help! Is there any way that I can quickly
find the strings that were manipulated by your script afterwards?

>> With this solution, a reasonable user experience would be provided to
>> German (Switzerland) users when Strings are updated, and the German
>> (Switzerland) translation is missing. For the few strings that are
>> different between German (Switzerland) and German (Germany), they
>> could be overwritten in the German (Switzerland) translation. Maybe
>> it wouldbe even better if German (Switzerland) would only contain the
>> few strings that are different in the two dialects, so that Swiss
>> users would also automatically get German (Germany) translation
>> improvements...
>>

> I agree. Again, I don't think the infrastructure allows that.

Hmm... If it's easy to test, what would happen if you change the locale
from "de_DE" to "de" for German (Germany)? I know some translation
libraries work with this hierarchy...

Currently (before my translation updates today) the context menu of the
dive list looks like this for de_CH: