Subsurface not working out SAC on sidemount dives

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Nov 5 05:55:05 PDT 2022

Hi Andrew,

I also dive sidemount, so I have had to work through these issues. You
need to consider that the SAC rate that Subsurface calculated for you
specifically are not representative of your dive. No problem with the
Subsurface software at all: it might be a case of garbage in, garbage
out. Let me explain. For Subsurface to calculate SAC correctly, it needs
to know when you are using each of the two cylinders. Without that
information it cannot do the SAC calculation. Since you are not
recording the change from using one cylinder to the other cylinder, it
assumes you are diving using the first cylinder for the whole dive. So
it records your total gas volume used from that cylinder, taking into
account the whole duration of the dive. Obviously this is not accurate.
The fact that the second cylinder in your cylinder table is not striked
out with a red line means that Subsurface did not record you using that
cylinder and considers it as an unused cylinder. Therefore the SAC
calculated is only based on the one cylinder you used and is not
accurate at all. It is one of the prices to pay when diving with more
than one cylinder: if you do not provide the appropriate information
Subsurface cannot calculate the gas usage or SAC. Many dive computers
allow recording cylinder changes during a dive. On my Galileo it means
pressing one of the buttons twice for each change, a rather trivial
activity once you get used to diving with a dive computer. The changes
are loaded as part of the upload from the dive computer to Subsurface.
For quite a few years I did this recording by writing the times of
changes on a wrist slate and logging the changes by hand. If you record
cylinder changes then the SAC calculation will be accurate. So your
choice is to take no extra trouble and understanding that the SAC rate
value is totally inaccurate, or to take the trouble and record the
cylinder changes.  Once you progress to using a stage cylinder or a deco
cylinder you will be faced with the same problem. So this is not unique
to sidemount at all. Enjoy your dives.

Kind regards,
willem