Subsurface build instructions on MacOSX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 12 10:45:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:47:25 +0200, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just built subsurface on my mac, and
> http://subsurface.hohndel.org/building/ didn't have any build docs for
> it.  It pretty much builds out of the box:

Awesome. A testament to writing portable software, I guess :-)

> 1) Install MacPorts from http://www.macports.org/
>
> 2) Install dependencies from MacPorts:
>
>          port install gconf gtk2 libusb
>
> 3) Install libdivecomputer:
>
>          git clone
> git://libdivecomputer.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/libdivecomputer/libdivecomputer
>          cd libdivecomputer
>          autoreconf --install
>          LIBUSB_CFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include ./configure
>          make
>          sudo make install
>
> 4) Install subsurface:
>
>          git clone https://github.com/torvalds/subsurface.git
>          make

I will add these instructions to the website! Thanks.

I have started to work on more "normal" installation as a desktop
application for subsurface under Linux. Right now subsurface just finds
its icon in the current directory; I have expanded this on Linux to look
at the standards compliant system locations, first (and to install our
icon and a .desktop file at these locations through make install).

Where would an icon have to be installed on MacOS? And is there the
equivalent of a .desktop file for apps installed through macport?