cuft_to_l

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 2 10:17:12 PDT 2012

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:
> But I'm pretty sure subsurface gets these things generally correct.
>
> Which is a *lot* more than I can say for anything else I've seen. The
> amount of confusion I've seen about cylinder sizes from both dive log
> software and actual dive computers is absolutely horrendous. The Uemis
> dive computer, for example, can be set for cuft. And if I recall
> correctly, it then does the SAC calculations (and exports cylinder
> sizes in liter) using a fixed 200 bar working pressure (which is
> pretty close to right for the normal AL80 model that has a 3000 psi
> working pressure), but it's just incredibly confused.

It's braindead stupid. So I have this HP119 cylinder that Linus
mentioned earlier. And the uemis has this really cool (don't ask me why
I think this is cool) ability to display your current SAC rate during
the dive. But in order for those numbers to be "roughly correct" it
needs to know the correct tank size. And if I am (for some reason) in
cuft mode, then I have to set the size to 104cuft (because my HP119
contains about 104cuft at 200bar).

And then, after I download the dive, I manually go back and set the
correct size and working pressure for the tank, so what is displayed in
the summary makes sense.

Can you see how idiotic that is?

Now granted, I could just use SI units - but 90% of the places I dive
work in imperial units so that seems... "easier"?