Call for volunteers [was: Re: Localization]

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 05:25:36 PDT 2012

On 13 October 2012 14:51, Mikko Rasa <tdb at tdb.fi> wrote:
> On 13.10.2012 14:42, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>>
>> however since we are not using a CMD launcher for example that sets
>> the env variable and can be edited by the user,
>> this hardcodes a translation based on a locale. how is the windows
>> user going to switch translations?
>> where is the menu entry that allows the user to pick a translation?
>>
>> i think that using a (global?) environment variable to control how a
>> peace of software is translated is quite limiting.
>> some osx user don't like entering stuff in terminals that much as
>> well, how are they going to switch languages?
>

> The standard practice is to pick up whatever language the OS is configured
> to use.  Presumably users prefer all of their programs to be in the same
> language.

erm, i for instance am not a english native, yet prefer all my
software to be in english, while keeping a non-english locale.
looks like i have to use enviroment variables for subsurface to obey
that...but wait subsurface on windows may overwrite my env. variable
value by default, so i won't be able to do that...

here an example of a small defragment utility that can switch
languages dynamically and store the user setting:
http://db.tt/GUu9axn8
obviously a vastly superior method...and yet another minus for
gettext() from my perspective. :-(

lubomir