Locale difficulties [was Re: de_CH translation]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Tue Oct 16 04:06:20 PDT 2012

Den 16.10.12 12:49, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
> Maybe I'm completely missing what you are trying to tell me, but in
> a normal POSIX locale world (for some definitian of 'normal'), if our
> locale WAS named nb_NO.UTF-8 then your OS should search for the various
> .mo files in
> .../nb_NO.UTF-8
> .../nb.UTF-8
> .../nb_NO
> .../nb.UTF-8
> .../nb
> So this seems to indicate to me that with this name for the Norwegian
> translation things would Just Work (TM)
>
> But I guess I am missing something.

Yeah, I think you are :)

Let's go back to the dtruss logs (Re: latest status and plans, 15.10.12
15:03).    When I open Subsurface from the command line, the following
locales are searched:

no_NO.UTF-8
no_NO.utf8
no_NO
no.UTF-8
no.utf8
no

So, with nb_NO.UTF-8 as the locale, it won't find anything.  On the
other hand, if I open Subsurface from the desktop, the following are
searched:

nn
nb
en

Still, with nb_NO.UTF-8, it won't find anything either.