new features that just hit master and a design question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 28 16:24:52 PDT 2012

I just pushed a couple of patches that implement two new features:

a) air temperature tracking - this was requested on trac and since the
Uemis Zurich actually provides a real air temperature reading I figured
it made sense to add this. I also allowed manual editing of it for
everyone else who has a computer that doesn't track air temperature (and
even if they do, I don't believe libdivecomputer actually makes that
available to Subsurface)

b) visibility tracking - also requested on trac
Turns out we had a data field for that in struc dive but never used that
- I decided that it would be more user friendly to go with a star rating
instead and implemented this reusing the infrastructure we have for the
overall dive rating.
One issue I ran into is that we don't have any space left on the Dive
Notes tab of the notebook - so now the visibility is on the Dive Info
tab - but that seems totally arbitrary and illogical...

So maybe it's time to re-think the overall layout of the notebook and
the whole "what goes where and why" question. Especially as I think
we'll add more things here in the near future (we're getting lots of
interesting ideas on trac.hohndel.org btw).

So what do people think is a reasonable design there? Assume for now
that we don't want to make the notebook pages any bigger - we could
however add a fifth page if that made sense - but right now the Info
page is still fairly empty and so is the Stats page.

The logic right now is (kind of)

Dive Notes are the things you manually add about a dive. Where, with
whom, how was it. The suit is already borderline and might make more
sense on the equipmen tab.

The equipment tab has tanks and weights (could add suit)

The info tab has data derived from the computer data - so if we move the
suit to the equipment tab, then visibility could move from here to the
Dive Notes tab and things would be more consistent again

The statistics tab finally normally is intended for statistics across
multiple (or all) dives. It's somewhat redundant with the info tab if
only one dive is selected (and we should try to display which dives it
is about if possible - see my previous request for comments on that
topic).