subsurface newcomer

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Thu Aug 22 19:31:28 UTC 2013

Hei Danilo,
Thanks for the patches.

Subsurface is currently going a *severe* port from GTK code to Qt, and I'm
the one to blame on many many bugs yet to find, since I did almost 90% of
the conversion ( and you send patches. *HUG* ).

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Danilo Cesar <danilo.eu at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi subsurface devs,
>
> I'm planning to use subsurface as my divelog app and I have some
> doubts/comments/patches about it:
>
> 1 - Tried to open the manual and faced some rendering problems [1].
> The user-manual html code was ok, so I believe that QTextBrowser might
> not be powerful enough to render that. I changed it to QWebView and it
> now works. (patch 0001)

Thanks - I was fixing a lot of other small stuff and I completely forgot
about this one.

> 2 - I made some tests with the dive planner and realize it doesn't
> consider MOD or deco limits for a gas change. Do you have plans to
> support those things? (Actually, I just realize it's only a
> graphicscene with some marks. Still under development?)

It's still in heavy development. I planned to send a complete version this
week, I'll run to have it fixed by tomorrow - or saturday.

> Also, the gas change is being opened as a regular dialog, which shows
> it in the task bar and places it behind the app window during an alt
> tab. Fixed that to a regular pop-up (0002 patch).

Uups. =)

> 3 - Had some problems with a Mares Matrix computer. I had to try three
> times before being able to download anything from it. I believe the
> error was "Unexpected answer byte" inside mares_iconhd.c, however I
> can't reproduce it anymore (it happened on two different computers,
> both running debian sid amd64).

That I don't know enougth to help, sorry - maybe the other guys.

> 4 - I had a situation once where I had to prove I did more than 50
> dives to be allowed to do a discover tec at 60m deep (I didn't have my
> old gekko with me). Is there any way to export the subsurface data to
> another place (like android or even the cloud)?
>
> * I'm using the master branch btw...

As I said, master is in constant development to replace GTK for Qt ( if you
already send patches, I may ask a bit of help to continue sending them? :D
), if you wanna a more stable version, try 3.1.1 launched a few weeks ago,
it's in GTK and it's the last stable version of Subsurface.
If you like to be on the bleeding edge and help me sort some stuff out,
Welcome. :D

Tomaz Canabrava