bugfixes

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 26 09:32:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 18:23 +0200, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> > A few bugfixes for today on the globe and the information panel,
> > branch tcanabrava/zoomSlider. I also added a bit of code to handle the
> > new library of marble, so if anyone has an older library please talk
> > to me if anything strange appears ( should appear a zoom slider, as
> > the branch name says. ).
>
> The zoom slider is nice (I've missed this!), but it takes too much space
> IMHO.  Could we have the only the slider on top of the map, and none of
> the buttons?
>
> > There's also a new branch named movablePanels where I managed to make
> > subsurface be a '4' panels app that can be moved around in and out the
> > mainwindow. I ask people to try it and see if it's acceptable, there
> > should be a few bugs on it but the ctrl + 1, 2,3, 4, 5 stuff works.
> > now **if** you mess completely the window, there's no way to go back,
> > close and reopen the application. I put a bit of love, but not much,
> > on this branch because I didn't know if that behavior would be
> > acceptable, so I made something just barely functional for you people
> > to try.
>
> The movable panels were too confusing (at least to me).  If we want to
> provide different layouts, we might do that the way some email clients
> does, with a couple of pre-defined layouts.   But I don't really think
> it's necessary.

Dang. I finally get to play with stuff and then Henrik writes my email
for me...

I agree with both comments. Too much space used for slider/buttons, and
the panels are something that Linus and I started out with in the early,
early, early days of Subsurface and moved away from.

What we should do is have a three panel option that turns off the map
and gives back the old layout. And that's about it