Qt version first impressions

Pablo Wolter pwolter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 12:43:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

I installed the new Subsurface version today to try out the Qt look and feel. Overall looks great on Mac OS X 10.8

I followed the interactions in the README file and found the pre-requisite of installing asciidoc is not yet added. I remembered from reading about it in the list. Not hard to figure out too but end users might not know that much?

Also another thing that is really annoying, it deleted all my dives from the previous version without any warning. It should be added a data preservation mechanism. I understand this is the version to try but anyway … I didn't know how to have the two at the same time ….

Anyway, I tried a few things.

1- Download a dive from my Pretel. Subsurface just can't see the Pretel whereas MacDive downloaded the dive without any trouble. I have successfully installed both libdivecomputer and subsurface from sources.

2- Try to import files … clicker the option under File and the application crashed.

3- Try to add a dive. I just added the Location and Buddy. Did not realized you have to go to other tabs to add more info, clicked Save and now unable to edit that dive. Not intuitive. Why not put all the related information of the dive into one window? How can I edit that dive without reading the manual? In my opinion that should be very intuitive.

4- After being unable to edit the dive I clicked Open … don't know for what it is but the application crashed again.

5- Opened Subsurface again and my recently added dive wasn't there … the application looks like as when just installed.

I think I'm going to stop here …. this is what happens I guess when you want to try the latest stuff ….

Please take all this as constructive as my intention is. Sadly I'm not a developer but want this software a lot …

I'm itching to see the new dive planner because the previous (GTK version) was just not intuitive and I never was able to make it work.

Thanks guys … so far the app looks great!!

Saludos,

Pablo Wolter
pwolter at gmail.com