Font / Fontsize preferences are disregarded

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Dec 7 11:03:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-07 at 19:30 +0100, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in preparation to update my video tutorial to Subsurface 4.0 one day

YAY!!! I was going to ask you about that :-)

> I was trying to choose a very large but good looking font for the screen
> recording, and was happy to see there is now a preference setting for
> that (at least for the list fonts).
>
> I was less happy when I realized that this setting is currently
> disregarded, and both the font and the font size settings are back to
> their default when Subsurface is started next time. Is this a known bug?

Tomaz just sent a couple of patches regarding that... maybe it still
isn't 100% correct. Tomaz?

> (I was trying subsurface from the git master at
> commit b144e64b9b44c7c8eeaf4cfbaa9cdc805514c405 )
>
> It seems that using the Xft.dpi setting is still possible, so I may be
> able to work around the issue. But using Xft.dpi is not perfect,
> either, see this older thread on it:
> http://lists.hohndel.org/pipermail/subsurface/2013-February/003313.html

There simply is no perfect solution it seems :-(

But let's try to get close.

Tomaz, the video that Lutz did last time was really cool. Maybe you
could work with him to find a way to have all of Subsurface be
consistently bigger so he can produce a high quality video with readable
fonts and icons?

Thanks