Discussion about EAD & END terminology

Salvador Cuñat salvador.cunat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 11:32:16 UTC 2013

Good Night.

Totally agree with both of you, Willem and Henrik.
Till now never heard of EAD meaning narcotic depth, but as I'm not
technical diver it didn't sound too strange to me.
In fact I was filling a bug form in trac when remembered the thread
about this topic, but it wasn't really discussed. The tread evolved on
deco and deco stops and no one payed attention on this, so simply added
the advice on user-manual.

If I had to vote, I would change this to the most accepted meaning:

EAD --> Equivalent Air Depth
END --> Equivalent Narcotic Depth  (N2+O2).

This would fit most recreational divers and only requires swapping the
variables in profile.c and remove the note on the manual. No
translation issues, fast and clean.

In the long run, I would add an EAD(He) taking account on He for deco
pourposes.  But this will probably have to wait to 4.1, I think.

Regards

Salva.