Right click map selection

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 10 12:21:01 PST 2013

Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> writes:
>> But it should still be much better than 30m. In fact, it should be
>> just about 1m, which should still be enough
>
> 16.5 bits gives you almost 10udeg resolution which at the equator is
> about 1m. I'd call that sufficient to locate a dive site.  I think the
> 30m problem is more likely caused by issues with reading the correct
> position from the osm widget.
>
> Lutz, if you try to reproduce this, is the error always the same? Always
> in the same direction? Maybe the 'hotspot' of the mouse isn't where we
> think it is and the coordinates are slightly off because of that?
>
> I'll play with it as well...

So I played around with this and I can set dive sites to basically pixel
precision at the highest zoom level - which appears to be about a couple
of meters at the location where I tried this (I used an inlet near San
Diego where it would have been trivial to spot if things moved around;
try N32° 45.50280' , W117° 15.61440' to see what I mean). So this seems
to verify what our precision calculations would make us assume.